Tuesday, June 27, 2006

i witnessed just the most shocking...

conversation yesterday and it put me in a new place ~

Doctor ~ 'Have you started your period yet?'

Jordan ~ 'No, I'm only 10.'

Doctor ~ 'Well girls are starting as young as 9 these days and as old as 14 so it wouldn't be completely uncommon. Do you have a boyfriend?'


to which i blacked out and don't remember much else... although the answer was no ~ as well it better be... so basically for the first time i felt like a mom...


now i didn't even know that my daughter knew what that question would have meant... we haven't had the conversation yet ~ because it hasn't come up ~ i remember it being fifth grade when the permission slips go home and they separate boys and girls for the cheesy video ~ i was prepared to have the talk when we got the permission slips... life on its own deals you enough trials and tribulations no sense rushing any of them ~ which is not to say if she had asked i would have had it then but seriously... she carried on that exchange like it was not a big deal at all

and my daughter does in fact tell me everything ~ i came home to a note just a few weeks ago about something she had done while i was at work... it was bad... no one knew... she just has a conscience like mine and would not have been able to sleep unless she told me what she had done...

last year she got her first love note ~ she brought it right in 'Mom... we have to talk' ~ my child knows she can talk to me ~ PERIOD

oh which brings me to the other half of this appointment which bugged me... i got a lecture on making sure my child has a good support system around her as divorce and moving... separating from a parent can be difficult ~ thanks for that news flash ~ by the way you just got done telling me i have a phenomenal young girl who seems to have goals and dreams... is doing well in school and makes friends easily i should be proud... well not for nothing but how do you think she got there... k... thanks for listening i'll carry on now

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Jocelyn called me and told me that checking out this blog was necessary... And I laughed a little because I can only imagine the shock that you went through. And I can hear your voice as you relay the story...

    You do have phenomenal children. Phenonmenal children with a phenonmenal mom!! Hope Jakie's appointment was a little less traumatic... (and I already heard about the text message too! ;o)! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:31 PM

    God, you are amazing.. I love reading this blog. You are taken right? Damn, why am I so damn slow? It's all good. Fine even, :). Love you Lori!

    ReplyDelete