Monday, October 23, 2006

Mr. Adam Hood sang a song...

about black sheep last night and while he was singing i got to thinking... i wonder if anyone else feels like that is what this room just might be full of ~ i know i am the black sheep in my family... the eccentric one who follows this stuff she calls 'Texas Music' with friends that she met *gasp* on the internet... i have my own 'beat that i drum to' and i don't hide it... i embrace it... and if you are gonna know anything about me at all... well you get all that right after you find out that my pride and joy are my jordan and jake... it's just that much a part of what makes me me ~ i know i've had similar conversations with my friends so yeah... that song worked for me a lot

OK ~ if i were to read what i'm about to write ~ i would not believe it for a second... i would be certain there was some elements of truth with a whole bunch of embelishment... well i have a room full of witnesses and brandon got some on tape

first of all... wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday ~ all were shiny happy days... the Heiths' are amazing and i'm so blessed to be loved by them... my Gage ~ not even enough or the right words right now... i got to go to Gruene finally... how gorgeous that is... i got kolaches for breakfast... i mended the fence that keeps me sane and feeling whole and loved and safe... i went to Gordo's which is special in a million different ways ~ i heard a 'new to me' band that i now absolutely LOVE ~ Eli Young Band... check THEM out seriously not only great music... but truly a great bunch of people in the band and associated with the band ~ i can never truly extend the gratitude i feel towards them... there was an 80's cover band that made me laugh OUT LOUD... there was not enough time for all that i wanted to see and there never is... i'm working on that... soon all we will have is time ~ there was Wade... there was Stoney the Rockstar... there was Danny... Jesse... Christy... June... AMY!!!... Heather... Renee... Meg... to my surprise Tank... all my old friends that share this love with me... there are new friends... Kathy... Alison... Tater... Erica... because music does what it does to me i feel that there is just never enough time to catch up and get better acquainted with ones you have known of... or been assocated with because of... so i apologize but there are more good times to come ~ I KNOW IT

but Sunday evening... Stoney and Adam Hood... LORD have mercy on me... for me the Sidecar Pub has a magic all its own... it was there two years ago and it was there last night ~ it makes me sad that it is going away ~ but thanks to my pink lady... i will have a piece of it forever ~ the song swap itself was fabulous and i did not move from my spot... well took a tiny potty break... but seriously... those two guys... well Stoney said it best and i'm extending it a bit they both '...act naturally' ~ but my first and forever... dammit love is not the right word... it's Stoney and last night was perfect in a way that only he can provide and here is where my story begins

he stands up... moves his barstool back ~ Tank says to me 'oh it's about to get good... he's drunk now and he just doesn't care' and it starts... 'if i were alone in the desert without a drink of water around...' ~ you could have knocked me over with a feather...

the day that i heard the news that Mr. Keith Whitley died... i was leaving my SATs on my way to a softball playoff game my senior year of high school... for me it's one of those moments... he is one of the all time greats in my opinion and to have Stoney continue and sing...

'tell Lorrie i love her
tell Lorrie i need her
tell Lorrie that everything would be okay
if i could just see her...'

there are truly NO words for that moment of time in my life... i can't begin to describe the feelings standing there listening to him sing that song... redemption comes to mind... he did that last time for me too... made another song one i can listen to again ~ there at that Sidecar Pub

so fast forward to the end of the show... i go back to sit at a table alone and collect myself ~ brandon understood... he commented on the fact that he got that i needed that time... slowly the other seats started to fill... kathy stood next to me ~ still very much in that place that he puts you... her only comment to me 'ok yeah i get it now' ~ yeah told you of course you do... your one of us so you would... sorry 'cause it can be as much of a curse as a blessing sometimes

so out of the corner of my eye... here he comes... and he sits down... at the stool across the table from me... literally the FIRST thing he says... 'i like your necklace... that guitar pick...' ~ 'really cause you gave it to me' ~ the look on his face... i can't truly remember the entire dialog ~ may have something to do with lack of oxygen breathing became impossible... there was definetly a comment about him singing Tell Lorrie I Love Her and he asked or said... are you Lori... yeah... his face had a peace... a look of contentment... i don't know... it was perfect... then he asked me for a cigarette ~ OH I WILL NOW NEVER QUIT SMOKING 'cause yeah... i could give him one... brandon walked by whispered in my ear... don't forget to breath... which was perfect... 'cause it was all stuck and not going in or out at that moment... so i was grateful ~ then as only Stoney can... he started reciting Japanese Hiaku (sp) that he had been working on with Roger Ray's brother... seriously i swear... brandon has this all on film...

If I were alone in the desert
Without a drink of water around
With my knees and hands in that white scorching sand
With the hot Sahara, sun beating down
If I could be granted my wishes
Anything I want would come true
I know that it might sound funny
But here’s what I want you to do

Tell Lorrie I love her
Tell Lorrie I need her
Tell her everything would be ok if
I could just see her
Tell Lorie I love her
Tell Lorie I need her
And If I leave this old world
Tell her she’s the only girl for me

If I were a drift on the ocean
A vessel with no sails or steam
Floating aimlessly on the endless sea
Hopelessly lost it would seem
If all of the fish in the water
Could echo my last dying plea
I know you might not understand it
But here's what I want it to be

Tell Lorrie I love her
Tell Lorrie I need her
Tell her everything would be ok if
I could just see her
Tell Lorrie I love her
Tell Lorrie I need her
And if I leave this old world tell her she’s the only girl for me
And if I leave this old world tell her she’s the only girl for me

thank you Mr. Keith Whitley... and thank you Stoney Larue

3 comments:

  1. that was perfect for you, and I got tears in my eyes just reading it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:06 PM

    you seriously underate yourself as a writer. bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori you make me smile and cry all at the same time.

    You make me wish I would have been there, but those times are just too hard for me now.

    Its not that I've gone anywhere, but my focus is well, off on another obsessive thing cause its what I do best.

    When you're here for a few days, or like the 1 day that I got to see you, you are surrounded by so many (cause you're loved), and I never want to intrude on your Texas time, cause well, you need it more than we do.

    I hope to make you a promise that NEXT time, I will get to see more your happy soul.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete