Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The reality of swaddling…

they teach you in the hospital when you have a baby… ok at least they did 12 years ago… anyway they teach you how to swaddle you baby. They explain that when you do this they feel safe… the idea being it resembles the confinement they felt in the womb and that’s familiar to them.

So what they don’t teach you is that you will always be trying to recreate that feeling… the rest of your life… you’ll go through phases as to what you use… when I was really little it was this pillow that I literally just relinquished about five years ago… it got so threadbare at one point that I sewed a pillowcase shut to keep it together a bit longer… then it was my grandfather’s army jacket from Korea… I wore that big ‘ol jacket daily with everything… and it was FUGLY no question… but I felt both safe from and ready for battle in it ~ you know during those angst filled teen years when the ENTIRE world is against you and yours for the conquering all at the same time…it still hangs in the closet at my parents home… I pull it out every now and again when I’m there just ‘cause

In the most recent years it’s my light blue old navy hoodie… nothing special about it really but i wear it when I’m just in need of feeling safe… protected… comfortable ~ it’s also my charms… i am not often without them… it’s funny because when I share them with people who are curious they tend to comment (faith ~ you do have a lot of faith… courage ~ oh I agree I’ve known few with the kind of courage you have…) what they are missing is that I wear the charms I wear because they are things I feel I am lacking and need…

Finally it’s always music… l will drive with it as loud as I can trying to bathe myself in the peacekeeper of the moment (Secondhand Serenade…OAR… that’s what’s doing it for me right now)… I walk around with my iPod in my pocket and an earbud in one ear the other left for the world…

So the lesson learned here is this… if you see me… in my light blue old navy hoodie… iPod in one ear… it’s probably not a good day

Shiny Moment of the Day ~

Jake ~ ‘mama… what’s this?’

Me ~ ‘it’s mascara’

Jake ~ ‘what’s that for?’

Me ~ ‘your eyelashes…’

Jake ~ ‘ok… where’s the stuff that makes your lips sparkly… I like it when you sparkle’

4 comments:

  1. i dont know why...but just now i said ...i need to hear Oklahoma Breakdown.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I think it might be a bit warm in JULY for that hoodie, but we KNOW we are ALL gonna have GREAT days then!!!!

    EEEKK!!!

    (oh, and tell Jake we've all got sparkle.. some is just easier seen some days...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sparkle"...it made my heart smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And sparkle you do, friend. I'm looking forward to dinner Thursday!

    ReplyDelete